Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Welcome

     Ten years ago I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression. I was 19, and not surprised at all to learn about the diagnosis - it runs in my family just like hazel eyes and long toes. I was promptly placed on the popular SSRI of the time - Prozac. In the years that followed I went on and off different meds - SSRI's targeting serotonin, nor-epinephrin, dopamine, and so on. Meds for anxiety, meds to sleep. Meds to wake up. All these drugs made for a messed up me - more messed up than I was prior to the diagnosis.
    In the early days I discovered a few things that helped. Things like sunlight, meditation cd's, and shopping. Yes, shopping. For that special something - that gave me a lift and kept me going for awhile. 
    Later on I would discover other things - service, exercise, and special combinations of vitamins that helped me get off most of the meds. And of course, Art. As time goes on I learn more and more how to be happy - because it takes a lot of effort for me, but is vitally important to my existence. 
    So this blog is about my discoveries - what I like, what works, what brings a smile, what hurts. For more info about shopping as therapy, check out this Discovery Health article, Good Health Comes In Small Packages.






2 comments:

jbrobeck said...

I have been diagnosed with Major Depression. I can't imagine a day when I was not on any drugs, but I am happy I weaned myself of Lexapro. I know use two other drugs, but I feel like a real person again!

Jen said...

Thanks for the comment jbrobeck - feeling real is priceless.

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Dzignine, based on Nekoji design.